HP ALM or Application Lifecycle Management is a set of tools designed and owned by HP for application development and testing.
Introduction to HP ALM
HP ALM is also known as Quality Centre has been developed originally as a test management tool by Mercury Interactive. Later it was acquired by HP and converted into an Application Lifecycle Management tool after adding many features, which enable the tool to support different phases of software development life cycle. It is a web based tool and helps in project management, collecting requirements, Unit testing etc. It can be integrated with other HP tools. As mentioned earlier HP ALM is a set of tools and it has different components which are as follows.
- Project planning and Tracking
- Application Lifecycle Intelligence
- Lab Management Automation
- Asset Sharing and Reuse
- Cross-project reporting
- HP enterprise collaboration
- HP performance centre
- Quality Assurance
- Requirements definitions and management
- HP fortify security
- Multi-environment support
Why Use HP ALM?
A project includes different stakeholders such as
- Business Analyst
- Project Manager
- Product Owners
All the stakeholders have well defined roles to perform and the same should be communicated to all members of the team for effective functioning of the team. Secondly a centralised repository is needed to record, maintain and track all activities related to the project for its successful completion. Finally all tests and development activities should be documented. Here is the significance of HP ALM.
- It supports healthy coordination and interaction between all stakeholders and thus help them to achieve the project goal.
- It can provide perfect tracking and reporting of various project related tasks and can integrate them too.
- Detailed project analysis and effective management is supported by HP ALM
- HP ALM can be connected to the email system which then sends mails regarding the changes in the project if any.
Architecture of QC
ALM is a java based enterprise application with MS SQL server or oracle as the backend. It has three components Client, Application server and database.
HP ALM Client
When a tester (the end user) accesses the URL of ALM, the client components will be downloaded to the system. These components help the user to interact with the server using .NET and COM technologies over a secure connection.
ALM Server or Application Server
This server usually runs on Windows or Linux platform and uses java database connectivity driver to communicate between the application and database servers.
Three schemas will be stored in database layers and they are site administration, lab project and Project schema. Information related to domains, users and site parameters will be stored in this schema. Lab information will be stored in lab project and project information in project schema.